Commitment to International Awareness
George Watson’s College was awarded the British Council International Schools Award for the first time in 2017 ( 2017 to 2020). The International Schools Award recognises schools who have shown a commitment to embedding international awareness and understanding across their school. This work has been embedded across the school through the UNCRC Rights Respecting Schools Award and through the teaching of the Global Goals (Sustainable Development Goals). This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Primary 5 Comparative study of France and Scotland
- Primary 5 & 6 Pen pals with our French partner school
- Primary 7 Study of Spanish culture with a focus on South America
- Assembly programme aimed at teaching about the UNCRC
- S2 Erasmus Funded STEM project partnered with a French school
- S1/S2 Global Education Fortnight where students develop their understanding of the UNCRC and Global Goals
- S5/6 trips to China with Modern Studies
- S5/6 trip to Malawi as part of the Watson’s Malawi Partnership
- GWC is a SWIRE Chinese Language Centre alongside two local state schools
International Opportunities and Exchanges
All of our S2 pupils have the opportunity to take part in an international visit to France, Germany, Italy, Spain – or further afield to our partner school in Taiwan.
Pupils from S3 upwards have an ever-increasing range of international options, including:
● Havergal Girls College, Toronto for S3
● Royal St George’s School for boys, Toronto for S3
● Neues Gymnasium school in Bochum for S5
● Saint Esprit, Beavuais, France for S5
● Iale International School, Valencia for S3 to S6
● The generously subsidised Don Mercer Exchange with schools in Melbourne (Australia) for S5
Students apply the year before they travel e.g. the Canada exchange is applied for in S2 and students travel in S3.
Applications will open in February 2020.
Gap Year Opportunities
We also offer a range of gap year opportunities S6 pupils including:
● The Hamilton Scholarship – spend a year at an American University (S6)
● The Wynberg Scholarship – spend a year as helper/sports coach in South Africa (S6)
● St Andrew’s Anglican College, Queensland, Australia – to work as a GAP volunteer (S6)
● The Jhongsiao Junior High School, Taiwan Teaching Scholarship (S6) – spend a term or a year teaching English in Taiwan
There are several opportunities available to S5 and S6 pupils to apply for educational travel awards ranging from £200 to £1000.
● The Murray Awards (S5/6)– language development
● The Sanson and Women Watsonian Centenary Awards S5/6) – adventurous travel
● The Sir Roger Young Memorial Award (S5/6) – pre-university international study, travel, training or
Pupils interested in applying for any of these opportunities, should complete the relevant Application Form and return it to the Principal's office by Friday 10 January 2020. Any questions can be directed to Mrs McVey in the Global Education office.
Finally, there are several organisations offering scholarships and exchanges which students have successfully applied for in recent years:
● The Bulkeley-Evans HMC Scholarship (S6)
● English-Speaking Union Secondary School Exchange Programme (ESU) (S6)
Please note - The Bulkeley-Evans HMC Scholarship and the ESU Secondary School Exchange programme have their own deadlines and rules for applications.