George Watson’s College is a leading independent day school that provides high quality learning and teaching from Nursery through to S6. Located in Edinburgh, our 52-acre campus, is home to over 2,400 pupils and offers a broad and varied range of academic and extracurricular activities for all levels.
We are looking to appoint new Governors and committee members.
The Governing Council works with the School's management team to develop the high quality all-round education associated with George Watson's College. The Governing Council is assisted by five main committees, with the following primary roles:
- The Education and Pupil Wellbeing Committee ensures that Learning and Teaching in the School meet the very highest standards, always prioritising Pupil Wellbeing.
- The Property and Facilities Committee oversees the maintenance and development of the property, buildings and facilities, including IT Services, and ensures these support the achievement of the School's strategic priorities.
- The Finance Committee ensures that the financial resources of the School are prudently managed to support current operations and to enable the achievement of the School's strategic priorities.
- The External Relations and Development Committee oversees the external relations and development strategies of the School and advises the Governing Council accordingly.
- The Staff Committee oversees all matters relating to the employment of staff.
Governors are actively involved in the life of the School, attending performances, shadowing staff and pupils, and taking part in some of the many extra-curricular and outdoor activities that take place throughout the school year.
We are looking for
- Senior figures with substantial experience within complex organisations in the private, public or third sectors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to represent George Watson's College externally and establish good working relationships with other members of Governing Council, the Principal and Principal's Leadership Team.
- A personal affinity with education and clear link to the School's values and aims.