Charley's Story

Charley's Story

“When I first walked through the entrance doors of George Watson’s College I could not help but feel overwhelmed. It was entrance test day and as a shy girl, coming from a primary school with only 80 pupils, I thought I would feel overwhelmed in a school with nearly 2,500 pupils.

But, how wrong I was!

I was greeted with warm smiles and welcoming introductions from both current and hopeful future pupils. I sat anxiously in the Senior School Assembly Hall, putting all my effort into the examinations. Yet, in the back of my mind, I knew we could not afford the school fees. I knew I would never get to wear the distinctive maroon blazer. Fast forward to February 2013, the day my mother cried with joy – I had been accepted into the Watson’s Family, with a 95% bursary. I could not quite believe it!

Watson’s goes above and beyond to help pupils grow as individuals, gives them opportunities and, most importantly, pushes everyone to thrive and flourish.

Watson’s goes above and beyond to help pupils grow as individuals, gives them opportunities and, most importantly, pushes everyone to thrive and flourish. And, they wanted me?

I will never forget my mother insisting we use the bursary funds to purchase a blazer three sizes too large. “You will grow into it fast enough”, she insisted. Little did she know that I would wear that same blazer, with pride, on my very first and very last day, at Prize Giving in June 2019. The privilege I feel to have been part of a community that encouraged a once shy girl to burst out of her shell is unmeasurable. Without the Foundation Places programme I would not have had the opportunity to compete, across the UK, in a sport I loved; to make the once in a lifetime trip to Malawi; or to become the confident young woman I am today.

Now, I work in a male-dominated industry, hoping to be an advocate for women in construction. I am currently at University, on a Graduate Apprenticeship in Building Surveying. I will always cherish my time at Watson’s and I will find ways to give back, for the opportunities the school gave to me.

From the bottom of my heart thank you to those who support Foundation Places. Ex Corde Caritas.”

Charley Carmichael, Foundationer (Class of 2019)