One school. One campus.
Pupils at our school benefit from George Watson’s College being a single campus with outstanding facilities from Preschool through to Senior 6.
Whether it’s sport, music, drama, or the arts you’ll find everything on our 52-acre site, located on the south side of Edinburgh, Scotland’s capital city.
As well as specialist facilities, our campus also has ample, beautiful green spaces for our pupils to enjoy when the sun shines!
What you’ll find on our campus at Watson’s
Our pupils have the freedom to succeed at Watson’s, with some of the best facilities at any school in the UK. In particular, you will find:
- Brand new Preschool - recently completed, our new-look Preschool is a bright, collaborative, safe place for our youngest children to start their Watson’s adventure
- Purpose-built Lower Primary Building - stunningly redesigned in recent years to create individual classrooms, clustered around creative, collaborative hubs. Pupils also benefit from large playgrounds to run free, but smaller spaces for those who need a bit more peace and quiet
- Upper Primary - Our Junior School houses pupils in Primary 4 to Primary 7 and includes bright, spacious classrooms, collaborative spaces as well as a raft of new facilities. Playtime is fun with a large, dedicated playground with adventure equipment as well as calm, quieter spaces
- The Art School - Specialist and expertly equipped art studios and creative display spaces enable our pupils to have the freedom to explore their creativity
- Design, Technology and Engineering Centre - One of Scotland’s leading school facilities, our pupils are able to access specialist equipment such as a 3D printer, fabrication technology, metalwork or woodwork, as well as specialist design software
- Senior School - In the original school building on our campus at Colinton Road, you will find spacious classrooms, laboratories, well-resourced libraries, purpose-built drama studios, and our S6 common room and study centre
- Centre for Sport - A significant development for the campus, our Centre for Sport is the hub for sporting activity, including a magnificent 23.5m indoor pool
- The Music School - Built in the 1960s and extensively renovated in the last decade, our Music School has classrooms, individual rooms for one- to-one tuition, and an auditorium
Tell me about the new Junior School facilities
Our Junior School has undergone a multi-million pound refurbishment, with the construction of the new John Martin building, which is connected to the existing Upper Primary building.
These new facilities reflect that the way that we educate our children is changing, and meet a need to create more, flexible space, such as:
- Brand new music suites and tuition rooms
- Performance spaces
- Bright, new classrooms for P7
- Superb, open plan library with comfortable seating
- Wellbeing room
Our work to refurbish the Upper Primary enabled us to consolidate classrooms and freed up space which has been used for the new Preschool facilities in the Lower Primary building.
As you would expect for any high functioning school, we invest significantly in the latest digital technology for our pupils. High-speed Wi-Fi is available across the campus.
In the Junior School, every pupil has access to an iPad and there is a Smartboard in every classroom. In the Senior School, we operate a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) system which empowers pupils to learn with the digital tools that suit them.
Our IT operations are managed onsite, with a dedicated team based in New Myreside House.
What sort of sporting facilities do you have?
Our pupils have the freedom to perform at Watson’s through a broad programme of sport. The physical and mental wellbeing of our pupils drives our approach to the sports facilities and encourages participation.
Take a look at some of the sports facilities we have:
- Myreside Stadium - main pitch and grandstand
- Two indoor sports halls and three indoor gym halls
- Superb 23.5m pool
- Fitness suite with the latest cardiovascular and resistance equipment
- Multi-use grass and synthetic pitches
- Rugby pitches at Myreside and Craiglockhart
- Tennis courts
- Cricket nets and squares
- Athletics track
- Rifle range
- Squash courts
- Boathouse (two minutes to the Union Canal)
The Arts at Watson’s
Our Music School was built in the 1960s, and is famous for its unique harp-shaped roof which curves beautifully over the auditorium. In doing so it provides perfect acoustics for intimate performances for around 175 guests.
The auditorium also features an original Steinway piano, a gift to the school and our pupils.
The facilities in our Music School have been extensively refurbished in the last decade, significantly increasing capacity in terms of classrooms, performance spaces, and individual one to one tuition rooms.
Our Drama Department consists of specialist drama studios, with permanent professional lighting and sound equipment available. There are unique performance spaces across the school campus.
The Art School, which is situated between the Junior School and Senior School, is a purpose-built building where pupils have the freedom to be creative. Specialist facilities support pottery, photography, drawing and painting, sculpture and textiles.
There are also some superb purpose-built, well-lit display spaces so that our pupils can exhibit their works.